Obstructive sleep apnea can cause many sleep issues and health concerns. One of the most common causes of sleep apnea is anatomical issues that create a narrow airway or a small mouth.
Luckily, these issues can be corrected by a dentist or orthodontist who practices sleep dentistry. At Pickens Family Dentistry we offer airway orthodontics and MARPE to help correct and resolve sleep apnea issues. While some obstructive sleep apnea treatment options, like CPAP machines, only treat the symptoms of sleep apnea.
Dr. Pickens can help provide solutions for the root cause of your sleep apnea. Call us today to meet with our dentist and get the treatment you need!
Treatment for Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Snoring
Here at Pickens Family Dentistry we use MARPE treatment to correct and help eliminate sleep apnea. MARPE stands for mini-implant-assisted rapid palatal expansion. MARPE is a treatment device used in airway orthodontics and sleep apnea airway management.
This is a non-surgical treatment for patients with narrow upper jaws. When a patient has a narrow upper jaw, it can cause crowded teeth and a narrow airway. It can also cause nasal obstruction, which will in turn cause a blocked airway and difficulty breathing while sleeping.
How does MARPE work? MARPE increases the space in your mouth by expanding your maxillary bone. We will create a custom-made palate expander also known as expander braces that will be placed at the roof of your mouth.
Benefits of MARPE Treatment
The MARPE treatment provides many benefits to your sleep and your health:
- A Better Bite: Jaw and bite issues can often be fixed with the MARPE treatment and result in more comfortable and functional biting and chewing.
- Cosmetic Repair: While cosmetic repair is not the primary purpose of the MARPE treatment, many patients will notice a subtle improvement in facial profile once their jaws and teeth are sitting together properly.
- Easier Breathing: As the MARPE treatment is used to expand the upper jaw, the nasal cavity is also expanded. Patients will breathe easier and experience improved physical and mental health due to MARPE because of the improved breathing capability.
- Improved Sleep: Having an expanded nasal cavity will help resolve sleep breathing disorders. This will allow for a better night’s sleep and enhance your overall well-being, reducing anxiety and improving your quality of life.
What Can I Expect from MARPE?
The MARPE procedure takes about 30 minutes to install and the patient will receive a local anesthesia to help them get comfortable. Over a series of treatments lasting anywhere from 4–6 months, we will continue to expand your pallet several more times.
Patients will also find that not only will their orthodontic treatment greatly help their breathing during sleep, but they will also have straighter teeth, stable and healthy bite movements, and better overall tooth and gum health.
At Pickens Family Dentistry, we are able to answer any questions you might have about the MARPE procedure to help you feel confident in getting the treatment you need. Call us today!
Orthodontic Treatment Isn’t Just for Looks
Many people often think that orthodontic treatments are just for fixing teeth and gaining a perfect smile. While orthodontics does improve your physical appearance, there is also another reason you might need orthodontic treatment.
Other Reasons for Orthodontic Treatment
Orthodontic treatment can be used to treat or prevent teeth grinding, facial imbalance, teeth clenching, and misaligned teeth. Airway orthodontics is also another type of orthodontics that is focused on helping to realign the jaw for better breathing and oxygen flow.
MARPE and orthodontics can enhance airway space, alleviating sleep apnea symptoms by addressing underlying structural issues and improving nighttime breathing.
Benefits of Airway Orthodontics:
- No more struggling to breathe while you sleep
- Enjoy overall improved health
- Eliminate the need for braces later or minimize the intensity of braces treatment
- Promote healthy facial development
- Reduce or eliminate the need for jaw surgery (due to TMJ disorder)
- Breathe better and feel better
Call Today to Find Out More about MARPE
Struggling to get quality sleep can be very frustrating. We offer a great solution in airway orthodontics: MARPE! If you or a loved one would benefit from airway orthodontics, please call! We will help determine the right mode of treatment for your sleep apnea.